Graduate Admission Procedure
The Departmental deadline for applications to the PhD programs in mathematics and applied mathematics is January 20 of the desired year of admission. Applications received by this date will receive full consideration for admission to the program. Applicants who wish to be considered for merit based College and University fellowships must apply by December 1 of the prior year.
If you have questions about the Master of Science in Industrial Mathematics (MSIM) program and please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for discussion.
A complete application includes the following:
- MSU Graduate Application at https://admissions.msu.edu/apply/graduate-students
- The Mathematics Department requires a current CV/Resume, Academic Statement and Personal Statement be included or uploaded within this MSU Graduate Application.
- Three letters of recommendation are also required, and these are included in the application also.
- Within the application you will select Math as your intended major and you will be asked Math Supplemental questions. Within these questions should contain the Math and Statistics Classes you have (or will have) taken at the Junior, Senior, or Graduate level.
- Official transcripts of all college work (undergraduate and graduate), including diplomas
and certificate are also required. These are to be sent to our department directly
from the school(s) which you attended.
Our address is:
Department of Mathematics
619 Red Cedar Rd. Room C213
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
There is no need to send more than one transcript. We will forward the original transcript to the Office of Admissions.
- GRE General Scores are required - The GRE subject test in mathematics is strongly recommended but not required.
- TOEFL Scores (International Students Only) - Applicants for whom English is not their primary language are required to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores. TOEFL scores must meet the University minimum requirements: no sub-score below 19 for reading, listening, and speaking; no writing sub-score below 22; with a minimum total score of 80. For more details see: https://grad.msu.edu/sites/default/files/content/apply/ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY.pdf
Applications are accepted for Fall Semester only. We do not accept applications for Spring or Summer Semester.
Applications are accepted for the PhD program or for the Masters program in Industrial Math only. We do not accept applications for the Masters program in mathematics or applied mathematics. These programs are restricted to students in PhD programs at MSU.
You may enquire about waiving of the MSU application fee by contacting the Graduate Office (email@example.com).
You will be able to check your application status through the Graduate Portal found at http://www.admissions.msu.edu/gradportal
For any questions that you might have please email firstname.lastname@example.org