Applications wishing full consideration (consideration for College and University fellowships) are due
December 1 of the previous year. Otherwise the deadline is January 7 of the same year.
A complete application includes the following:
- MSU Graduate Application at http://grad.msu.edu/apply/online.aspx
- Application to the Department of Mathematics, which you complete
by logging into http://www.admissions.msu.edu/gradportal using your applicant
ID and password issued when you completed the MSU Graduate Application.
- Three letters of recommendation are required and these are included in the Graduate Portal also. There
is a place for you to list the name and email of your recommenders and they will
be contacted and asked to upload a letter for you.
- Download and fill out the Math / STT Courses form. This form should contain the Math and Statistics Classes you have (or will have) taken at the Junior, Senior, or Graduate level. You can download the form here
. Once you have it downloaded, fill it out and upload it through the Graduate Portal)
- Official transcripts of all college work (undergraduate and graduate), including
diplomas and certificates. These are to be sent to our Department directly from
the school(s) which you attended.
Effective Spring 2015, MSU will require all incoming admitted students pursuing degrees or who have earned degrees from universities in China to submit a verification report through the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) for their final bachelor degree transcripts. Please read more under: http://grad.msu.edu/apply/docs/CDGDC.pdf
Our address is:
Department of Mathematics
619 Red Cedar Rd. Room C213
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
There is no need to send more than one transcript. We will forward the original
transcript to the Office of Admissions.
- GRE Scores - The three standard sections of the GRE, verbal, quantitative, and analytic are required for admission.
The GRE subject test in mathematics is required for applicants who want to be considered for teaching and research assistantships or for fellowships.
- 7. TOEFL Scores (International Students Only) - Applicants for whom English is not their primary language are required to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores. Please see requirements for scores here: http://grad.msu.edu/apply/docs/englishlanguagerequirements.pdf
Applications are accepted for Fall Semester only. We do not accept applications for Spring or Summer Semester.
Applications are accepted for the PhD program or for the Masters program in Industrial Math. only. We do not accept applications for the Masters program in mathematics or applied mathematics. These programs are restricted to students in PhD programs at MSU.
Applications from US citizens and lawful permanent residents with GRE subject test in mathematics score in the upper 50 percentile will have the MSU application fee waived or reimbursed.
You will be able to check your application status through the Graduate Portal found at http://www.admissions.msu.edu/gradportal
For any questions that you might have please email email@example.com